Veggie Noodles (Kid Friendly!)
- Yellow squash or green zucchini – make sure to get thin ones so that they actually fit in the noodle-maker!
- Coconut Oil – organic, cold-pressed, unrefined is best.
- Unrefined sea salt
- Optional spices or herbs such as thyme, oregano, garlic, etc.
- Noodle-maker – For example the “Veggetti”. There are also other hand-held varieties out there :) The “Veggetti” can be found for about $12 at Bed Bath & Beyond or online on Amazon.
- Carefully cut off one of the ends of the squash/zucchini
- While holding the noodle-maker in one hand, with your otherhand put the squash/zucchini into the noodle-maker. Using a little force, slowly turn the squash/zucchini clockwise so that the small blades in the noodle-maker cut thin noodles from the squash/zucchini. The veggie noodles will start to come out the other end.
- As the squash/zucchini noodles are being made, watch your fingers and keep them away from the small blades inside the noodle-maker.
- When you cannot turn the squash/zucchini any longer in the noodle-maker, you may be able to put a fork in the remaining squash/zucchini in order to get more noodles out. Be sure to ask for help if you need it.
- Warm down some coconut oil in a pan over low heat.
- Once the coconut oil is liquid, put the veggie noodles in the pan in order to cook/warm them up just a little.
- Add unrefined sea salt and any optional spices and herbs.
Yellow squash has more seeds than green zucchini. Therefore, veggie noodles made from yellow squash will be a little softer and have more liquid, from the extra water inside the squash.