Chicken Liver Pate
- 3 TBSP grass fed butter/ghee/coconut oil
- ¼ cup green apple, peeled, cored and chopped or grated/shredded (optional – sometimes I don’t use apple and it’s still great!)
- ¼ - ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest (If you don’t have fresh lemon, you could use a few splashes of organic lemon juice)
- 8 oz raw chicken livers or combination of livers and other organ meats (except gizzards and heart)
- ½ TBSP dried thyme or 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- ½ tsp dried tarragon or 1 tsp fresh tarragon (An alteration is using marjoram instead of tarragon.)
- ½ cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk or raw sour cream (Using coconut milk will result in a thinner consistency. Raw sour cream will be a little thicker. If you are using coconut milk and desire a thicker consistency, use about ¼ cup instead of ½ cup.)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- Melt 2 TBSP of the butter/ghee/coconut oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the apples (if using), onions and lemon zest. Sauté everything for about 4 minutes or until the apples and onions are softened.
- Add the livers and herbs and increase the heat to medium. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the remaining 1 TBSP butter/ghee/coconut oil and then take it off the stove to let sit to cool a bit before putting it into a food processor/blender.
- Once ready to blend, put mixture in the food processor/blender and add the coconut milk/sour cream and sea salt.
- Blend well.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Not sure how to eat pate?
- Simply, eat right off the spoon with additional sea salt.
- Or, spread on raw veggies such as cucumbers
- It also tastes great with apples.
- I also like it with hard boiled eggs and even with dates!