Versatile Curry Veggie Stew
25- 30 minutes
- 2 TBSP coconut oil or ghee
- 1-2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 TBSP tablespoons curry powder:
- I did not have curry powder so I made this spice mixture: 1 part ground cumin + ½ part ground cardamom + 4 parts ground coriander + 2 parts ground turmeric + 2 parts ground yellow mustard, + 2 parts chili powder + 1 part cayenne
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk* I suggest Native Forest or Thai Kitchen
- 2 tablespoon tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 small sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 lbs assorted vegetables (In this particular version, I used 6 small turnips)
- 1 cup homemade broth or store bought vegetable broth (If you cannot use homemade broth, I suggest Pacific organic vegetable broth – not the meat broths.) *For a thicker consistency, omit the sauce or use less.
- Melt the coconut oil in a stock pot over medium heat
- Sauté the onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk, broth, curry powder, tamari/aminos, and salt. Whisk well to combine. (Curry powders can vary by brand. Best to start with a smaller amount and add more if you’d like. )
- Bring to a simmer and add in the chopped sweet potatoes and any other root vegetables that you may be using. Cover the pan, and allow the sweet potatoes to steam in the sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add the rest of the vegetables (if you are using others), coat them with the sauce. Cover and allow to steam until fork-tender.